Wednesday, April 27, 2022

REVIEW: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl



I really don't know how to rate this book. It is written under very specific circumstances, and the author didn't even know that one day, it would be out there as a witness of such a dark history.


Can you imagine living in Anne Frank's world? Unfortunately, there are people who experience it, even in this modern time. Robbed from your right to exist and constantly living in fear, hiding like hunted preys with the very little thing you have.


When the world went into quarantine in 2020, people were bitching about being in 'jail,' not getting their haircuts and crying about rights. There are real depression and loneliness out there, but for many, it was just a circus to show how privileged and how common sense is actually not that common. 

It was disappointing, and as I read somewhere, we need to apologize to those ridiculous horror movie creators when we berate them for making their characters so dumb in certain situations because apparently, it is realistic.


Back to Anna Frank, I can't imagine her life. I'm an introvert, and I do quarantine and social distancing before it is necessary. I live in my head, and there are a lot of entertainments there, but I can't imagine living in such a confined place and in fear that way without a good justification about why my right to live is not the same as yours and why human beings, who look like me, can be so destructive and cruel. 


Those few pages that we read are probably a couple of pieces of paper that kept her sanity. And the most frustrating situation out there is that even though it exists under different 'brands', genocide still happens, on small or bigger scales. That slogan 'Never Again', not everyone gets the memo as long as it doesn't fit their agenda.


Humans are exhausting.