Sunday, November 27, 2022

DARKWITCH - DRYWOLF #02 (Kat Kinney)



While this second book regales me with the conclusion of the whole story, I don't enjoy it as much as the first one. 

Possibly spoiler

Personally, I think it doesn't hold the same magic and has become quite predictable. The Chosen One trope is too foreseeable, and it has double dose. I have lost count of how many times the main character wanders into the woods or roams around, gets into life-threatening situations, makes it back/recovered/rescued, and repeats as the main plot points for the story to move forward. It's repetitive and becomes apparent when you binge the book. It's also a bit tiresome that the character is thinking and whining about the same thing repeatedly, sometimes being overly dramatic about things that shouldn't have that much foundation to be upset with based on the personality of the character I read from book one.

Unlike the first book, which introduces us more to the world, cultures, and little things that matter, this one relies more on actions that build up the whole book with a reward of a predictable payout while leaving some critical plot points behind. Monkshood is well underplayed and shoved aside after all the importance in the first book. It almost seems like it's too deadly/powerful that the story chooses to ignore it.

Having written all that off my chest, there are still some gems. I enjoy the Gunnar character; although he is the only one who shines in this book, compared to many in the previous. I like that, as in real life, there is something after happily ever after in the first ending, that things are far from rosy, although I don't think it's explored to its potential. The final battle feels like it's coming out of nowhere, not built enough, and some questions are not really answered, especially tallying from how it has evolved from the first book's ending and events/skills/strategy/strength of each side throughout the two books.

Although it's not as strong, or perhaps I compare it too much to the previous book, it's still an entertaining read and provides the story's closure so that I will round the stars up.

3.5 cats tangled in 5 strands of arrogant Nils' hair

Another thing that I like is that despite the book being in YA Paranormal Werewolf, it touches and handles mature subjects well, and there is no point where I think this is mushy and I'm too old to read it. The problems told are relatable to the real world, and there are many respectable and rootable characters.

View all my Goodreads reviews