Friday, December 16, 2022

KA,AZULA (Black Hole Radio #3) Ann Birdgenaw


Initially, I felt short-changed because I didn't realize this was the third book. It mentioned events that happened previously that I knew very little about, and the relationships between friends are not fleshed out in this book. It makes sense when I found out.

Growing up, I loved to read Enid Blyton's book, which continued until I was an adult. It sent me places and carried me through adventures I didn't get in real life. Personally, I prefer realism, especially in children's story than trying to imagine a group of kids going through life-threatening situations with skills that are quite a stretch for me to believe (not the 'gifted' ability—that works in the story—but things such as driving like Fast and Furious expert and shooting like John Wick). 

The basketball, school, and ordinary life scenes felt detached from the other two-thirds of the book when they visited the other world. It would be great if there were more relationships between these two parts or some continuation when they return for a bit.

For the characters, it's quite hard to get their age and distinction. Sometimes they speak like adults, and sometimes like children. There are also fewer unique personalities to each of them, but I give it the benefit of the doubt that they are reflected in earlier books. There is excessive use of high-fives that they feel forced to remind the readers that they are kids instead of working it into consistent conversation styles or other ways. 

I like the imagination of the world, the bluest blue, and the meaning that anyone can bring home. I can relate to not knowing that we are different if not for others who make a big deal out of it. The author makes it simple; everyone is open-minded. It's on the contrary in real life, but it works for children's books, and hey, actually, it should work in real-life too! I think it's an excellent message; it just feels a bit too preachy at the end. The earlier and subtle indication works much better, imho.

I round this up for the benefit of the doubt that many issues I have are addressed in the earlier book.

3.5 Random Alien Candies out of 5 Azulizard Sausages

View all my Goodreads reviews