Sunday, August 6, 2023

Efficient and Divine: Honey Locust (Gene Kendall)




Honey Locust is a sequel to the tale of Mason MacKay. Having read the first book quite recently, the plot flows without any hiccup for me as most details are still fresh in my mind.


I like this book better than the first one, although I still feel indifferent to the main characters. Imho, all the side characters have better developments, while the main character remains almost the same throughout this book. However, all characters are more consistent and feel more personal, well rounded with clear motivations and their own personal struggles.


The story intertwines and is slowly woven together. There are no dull moments, and the will to pick up the book again between reading remains high. Maybe because this is the second book, everything feels familiar since the beginning, or it is well-written and keeps up with the pace and revelation. The subplot and switching between characters' PoV work well and believable. Some are annoying with the purpose of exactly that, so they do the job. I wish to feel more attached to the main characters, but instead, side characters steal the show for me; unfortunately, they only exist as plot devices. Not so much a fan of some references, too, sometimes it disrupt the story, but overall, I enjoy this book. This is the third book I have read from this author, and this is my favorite out of three.

4 out of 5 dry Mormon's birthday party