A short tale indeed, with a bonus of another short story.
The story is entertaining, although I would say I could see
it coming, because it's been done many times. I enjoyed the descent into
madness, but I wish there were more progression or aftermath conclusion. The
first half is great, but the second half is a vertical escalation. It feels
like there is a missing season, like when a popular TV character descends into
a mad queen.
I feel the same for the bonus story. The bonus story reveals
the setting, timing, the system, and the parties involved only near the end,
which comes across as quite abrupt to me as a reader with no knowledge of them.
I understand it is always a challenge to wrap up a short
story. I think both tales would have decent, good endings if the paths to get
there were paved more gradually.