Tuesday, October 6, 2026

BOOK REVIEW: Woman's History of America (Christa Nonnemaker)

 


I wish my high school history books were this interesting and interactive. The stories are easy to read, with nice pictures/illustration and more interesting bits. They are clear, easy to digest, and informative. Difficult/unusual words/terms are highlighted, and readers can find the meaning when they flip the pages or scroll down the book. 

One of the keys to better learning back then, in my experience, especially for 'drier' subjects with a lot to memorize, was writing it down. It created another set of memories and helped me recall things when I needed them during tests, or helped anchor them in my mind to become fun at parties later. This book has a better approach, it organizes information into tables and diagrams, things I can easily picture being used as self-practice or homework or teamwork, together with critical thinking and essay parts to encourage students to be creative without being restrictive. It also helps to learn by allowing students to relate to the history. 

Overall, I think it's a useful book and more fun (in an educational way) at the same time. I'm not sure how relevant it is to the current international curriculum, because I certainly didn't need to learn this in my high school. I'd recommend this if the subject is indeed relevant for those who want to learn out of necessity or curiosity about Women's History of America.

5 of 5