Sunday, February 12, 2023

Jigsaw Beginnings (David Alyn Gordon)

 


I have to admit this book is not what I thought it was from the title, but for good reason.

The first part of the book captivated me. It drew my interest straightaway to keep me reading. For around one-third, the plot hops back and forth between the modern era and the war period, where the characters are transported into. I am a fan of jumping narratives for storytelling. Although it doesn't work for every book, it works here. I also appreciate relevant historical facts and how they are worked into the story, which goes for a refreshing take on their objective for history changing.

There are two twists that I didn't see coming in the story; I appreciate the first one but still struggle with the reasoning and the necessity of the second. I am not into the modern era of the story because the young adult's interactions feel jaggy and unnatural. It's hard for me to get into and root for the characters because some of the connections and relationships felt forced or rushed into. There are good moments, but there could be more.

Sometimes, it feels like the book is trying to tackle too many things with too few words that both significant parts of the story, plot and characters, don't have time to shine and are just moving along. Overall, I think the story idea is solid, and the author creates an intriguing theory about time travel to the past.

3.5 rounded up

View all my Goodreads reviews