Thursday, March 9, 2023

Another Zombie Apocalypse: Volume 1 (Joshua Grant)

 



What can I say about this Zombie Apocalypse comic?

I am pleasantly surprised about how much I like it. I have watched my fair share of zombie and apocalyptic shows, but this is my first time reading a zombie comic book.

There are five chapters in the comic. The book is very well-illustrated; for some reason, it gives me the classic feeling of comic books I loved as a child. I can't remember which comic, something that came in two colors only, orange and white. I am not even sure if it exists somewhere else. The illustration style reminds me of those; they are simple but high quality and expressive.

When I watch a zombie movie, I don't really care about how many times those infected appear, the jump scares, or how gross they look (but it's a bonus point). They are there, which they should be if it's a zombie movie or show, but I don't need them excessively. I am more interested in the stories; how did it start, what the impacts are, what does it bring to humanity, how people react to them, and what the apocalyptic world is like. In short, I'm more interested in the biggest mystery of all: the human elements.

And this is a comic with depth; there are more thought-provoking stories here than many books out there. There are depth and humanity, the good and the bad. There are sad stories, desperations, twists, rootable characters, and awesome zombies. Warning, it's gory, but if you are wary about gore in zombie stories, there is something weird in your art choice.

5 gross zombies out of 5 apocalypse