Sunday, September 27, 2026

BOOK REVIEW: The Captivating Flames of Madness (Jeff Parsons)



The feeling of reading a good book is hard to beat. I picked up this book without having high expectations, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

True to its title, The Captivating Flame of Madness is just that. It's a collection of short stories that are fast-paced, full of wonderfully crafted twists, well-written, with chilling plots.

Each story packs a strong idea, believable characters, and pulls readers into the madness as soon as the words start to flow. It doesn't drag. The stories are easy to read and follow, yet they are deep and carefully constructed.

The second story, The New Law, is one of the most intriguing dystopian short stories I've come across lately. It could easily be expanded into a book or novella. Although I could see the end coming, Control and Nothing Personal were entertaining and captivating throughout. There are many more other original stories that captivate me from start to end. How else can I walk between zombies? Face the bullies? The last story is chilling, although I have seen it done before in different permutations.

Highly recommended read.

5 out of 5 stars