Monday, January 9, 2023

BLIND CERULEAN (Gene Kendall)



I have to admit that I was quite frustrated for one-third of the book. I was confused about where it was going, who the characters were, and what it was about. Wasn't a fan of a sudden second-person narrative as well, and the main supposedly protagonist that I found unlikeable. The narrative also jumped to different scenes and characters without any indication, making it hard to follow. Another thing that was too jarring for me: the product placements! There were too many of them, especially in the book's first half. It was very distracting and contributed little to the story, except for some minor relevancy (we don't need too many mentions of iPhones, Apple, lululemon, Salvatore Ferragamo, and the like). 

Now that I get those out of my way... 

Once I got the hang of the story and character, the plot became more profound and complex, and I started to get the rewards of enjoyable stories and interesting revelations. The criss-cross timeline was risky, but I was a fan.

The book doesn't underestimate the readers; observant ones are awarded correct predictions to follow along. The characters have distinctive enough voices, and this book has more potential if it's explored better into a longer story because there are so many things to unfold. The side characters are, if not more interesting than the main one. My initial frustration was no longer there once it kept me on track, and the rest of the book was a much easier read. I appreciate the amount of research done, and if readers think there are too many strange plots or ideas, trust me, they are no stranger than what already exists in the world.

It's an ambitious and complex book, and I appreciate every single effort the author put into it because I know there must be a plethora of them.

4 Mexican Rumba Shakers out of 5 Dusty Old Grouches

 View all my Goodreads reviews