Monday, January 9, 2023

CHLOE DOLLS (Ed Morawski)

 


My favorite genre is Speculative Fiction and realistic SciFi, so I was excited to read this book and had high expectation from the beginning.

The opening gets me because Vincent is my favorite song, and it's very fitting with the scene from the first chapter. I read through the book easily as it kept me interested, although I stumbled here and there because some, perhaps it's not accurate to describe them as expositions, maybe lengthy explanations were distracting to me. I love it when authors do their thorough research, but Imo, for this genre and the story's context, those explanations could be briefer. For example, DID is fitting, but love at first sight and anxiety don't need that many explanations. However, this is IMHO because some readers actually love them.

The plot is easy to follow (more on that later)

 

Now to the possible spoiler part.

As mentioned, I am a Sci-Fi fan; I watch and read what others might categorize as nerdy stuff for fun. So I wonder if I could speak for other readers, but I know the 'secret' just by reading the blurb. This is fine if only it is not only revealed when it hits 80% of the book. It takes away quite a lot of enjoyment for me, especially when the main character is portrayed as very knowledgeable about everything. This secret is one of the things he knows well, yet, it never enters his mind even though he has considered every scenario. I find that quite unbelievable, and making the character know about everything backfires here.

 

I remember a couple of years before, and in early 2000, that theme was everywhere. My favorite movie of all time, which I refrain from saying in case of spoiling it to others, is based on that. The entire series, Orphan Black, is based on that. It was revealed pretty early, so I mentioned it. Secret and 'twist' work when it's not glaringly obvious and when the story mentions everything but that. It's almost like you consider everyone in detail in a locked room murder mystery except one person that turns out to be the killer. It's much more intriguing when it's not obvious or, if there is no way around it, to bank more on the premise after the revelation, just like the series I mentioned earlier. But again, it could work better for other readers.

Based on that, I find it hard to believe the ending as well. I wouldn't let the protagonist go with a slap on the wrist, let alone reward and submission if I were the villain of the story, based on what the story tells me.

End of possible spoiler

 

If you are looking for a well-research easy-reading Sci-Fi, Chloe Dolls has it all, including the ability for readers to follow the journey to uncover the mystery.

 

Round this up from 3.5