Monday, March 20, 2023

The Darkness That Slept (Tristen Kozinsky & Keegan Konzinsky)


I needed a very long time to get on this book, and I devoured all the available series of The Song of Ice and Fire in a small fragment of that time.

Too many things and different parts are happening from the beginning that I have difficulty following what is happening. This wouldn't be much of a problem if I was reading something I am familiar with. But in fantasy settings, they are wholly different animals with their own rules and words. What are the tasks, what is going on, why is the background of this event, what worlds and eras are we focusing on this page now, etc.

The elaborate writing style adds up to the pages, some readers enjoy the world buildings, and they are done well, but it's a bit too much for me. It takes me out of focus and diminishes my curiosity to find the connection between stories and their purposes. It may not be accurate to compare it with the chicken and egg situation about which part is more important at the beginning of a book. In books, I prefer to feel connections with the characters as a priority so that their quests are easier to root for because when the book prioritizes the intricate world-building at the beginning when readers barely understand anything and anyone, there is an avalanche of words before I care about the characters and how they will cross paths. At some point, it would be too late for me to get the connections. It's easier to be visual in a movie, but that is me. I am sorry I didn't enjoy the book for those reasons.

Having said that, I believe fans of Fantasy books would like this. The writing is rich, entertaining, and imaginative. The writers set little boundaries to uncomfortable plots but do so in a style that I can appreciate. Set aside a good chunk of time and an adventurous fantasy mood and enjoy the ride.


3 out of 5 stars