Thursday, November 16, 2023

An Unofficial Guide to NYPD Blue (Gene Kendall)

 


I am a fan of the BBC Sherlock TV series, and there was a time when I devoured everything about it. From behind-the-screen production book, an almost-all-pictures casebook, to a book written by a fan to analyze the show. There is certainly a market for this, as I am pretty sure ImdB itself is not enough for devoted fans.

This book is a gigantic, detailed review of the show. I remember when NYPD Blue first became available where I lived (far later than its original airing), but it was one of the shows that was quite a trendsetter, and even though I was not a regular fan or follower, I would sit and watch when it came to the screen.

So, although I am not familiar with most of the episodes (and it has been a long time), I enjoy reading how a show evolves and the challenge of keeping it fresh and interesting. I guess it's more enjoyable because I have similar frustration with the author about many things in the entertainment industry, like forced/unnecessary romance and unrealistic 'everyone is gorgeous' trope.

This is the first time I try an audiobook. While I can imagine it would be more lively for other books with dialogues and actions, instead of all narrations, the narrator does a good job in conveying the author's opinion and frustration for the show (too bad there is too little of them, imho). I can practically hear the eye-rolling.

If you are a fan of NYPD Blue, this is a good read. But even if you are not, it's interesting to read about the long-running show because some of the challenges and problems certainly apply to other shows you like.