Sunday, November 12, 2023

Black Hole Radio (Ann Birdgenaw)

 


I read the Black Hole Radio series out of order, with the first book being the last. Although it didn't really impact my reading experience, I wish I had read this one first.

This book is funny, with a good background story that starts it all, including the real-life beep beep beep experience. It has adventures, an exciting alien world, super abilities, cool races, celebrations, and also an idealistic view of the world. I don't know about others; I've always wanted to explore the space since I was a kid, so I can see kids around the characters' ages enjoying this piece.

Besides some very brief, touching character moments, the two main characters are interchangeable; they are very similar without a stand-out personality. Although it's meant to be funny and light-hearted, I had to cringe about how they make fun of the bad guy's appearance. It's a bit over-the-top villain equals ugly in a very literal way, although, to be fair, they make fun of everyone's appearance. Well, they are in a strange world, and they are kids; it's probably understandable, but it doesn't make them likable much.

But other than that, it's a good children's book adventure. Very imaginative, high-spirited, fast-paced, and fun.

4 cosmo-nerds out of 5 blubber-sniffs