Friday, March 1, 2024

Flit (Ed Morawski)

 


Since I was a young adult, I have been dreaming about teleportation. Staying away from my loved ones, it's always a delicate balance to be with them, be in a place with the job, and be in places that are good for my mental well-being. I do not intend to be greedy outside of personal use and am very good at keeping secrets. Because of this wish, I think about this a lot, albeit always briefly, about how having this kind of device would impact my life and others if it's finally realized one day.

So, I am happy to read this book, especially when it explores the origin.

I was worried that the book would be a lump of narration and information in the beginning because we were barely introduced to any character. It has its purpose because it's just an introduction to the beginning. Twenty years later, there are multiple characters and storylines.


The premise.

I love the concept of this book; as told, I want to know what would happen if this thing became a reality. Every ordinary person thinks about all these scenarios daily, no? At least I have this book. Although I have nitpicks (more on that later), I admire the author's knowledge about a lot of things and read in amazement as he brings me through the science, jurisdiction system, business, banking, and the future.

 

The characters.

I love to root and feel for characters when I read books, and I root for none of the characters in this one. The primary and more prominent characters are decently created, but I can relate to none. The most down-to-earth, realistic, and ordinary characters are introduced in snippets just to put a name for how the device impacts them. However, it works for this book, and I think there is a decent balance between hard and soft science fiction. This would make a good movie with the montage of ordinary characters among the craziest things that ever happened to humanity. I wish Beach, Joe, and Irina would be less one-dimensional, but who cares? I have a four-second trip to make.

 

The pace.

The pace is great, although some timelines seem impossible for me, who worked in corporate deadlines many times before, especially in those sectors that rely on many things, including supplies and utility. But no part of the book is boring to me. It keeps me interested.

 

The style.

The book is a 'documentary.' I think it's creative and has many things that would make a great movie. But more on the nitpick.

 

Now, the nitpicks that sadly have knocked one star from me.

-       I am a nerd. I like to read about theories, calculations, details, and analysis (whether I understand them or not is another matter), and this book has many of them. It's all great, but something very simple caught my eye. It's a nitpick, of course, for something that takes only half a page, but hear me out. Emily, one of the minor characters, owns a boutique, and for some reason, the author details how the business has been doing well by including some simple calculations. With a rent of $28,000 a month, the company would break even if it could rake $1,000 a day, which makes it $30,000 a month. It is simple, but in the previous scene, it was mentioned that it is located in a very prime area with three full-time salespeople, even though they also work on a commission basis. Based on my knowledge, there is no way $2,000 a month would cover other expenses. Salaries, utilities, business trips, expenses, taxes, interior, packaging, transport, marketing, and bonuses are the basics. There is just no way the number would work. If there is a higher number, or best, not to mention them at all outside the general idea. It's a tiny thing; however, it makes me wary a bit. What about all those impressive calculations and details that I don't have any knowledge about? Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't impact my reading enjoyment, but it would make me less confident.

 

-       The aftermath

It's great that I get to read about the impact on the world. The author has a lot of insights into things that I have yet to consider, and it's really awesome to read them. While there are mentions of some negative impacts that spark a very tiny idea of reverting to the old transportation method, everything goes very smoothly regarding long-term technology impact, not social rejection (the riot).

It says a lot about the better environment, while in my head, it is the other way around. I was an avid traveler and sought remote areas: unpopular islands, underwater, and mountaintops. The best factors for all these are the destinations, the views, nature, and cultures. On the other hand the most disturbed factors by this device are the tranquility, exclusiveness, and the journey. All these would be gone (and that's why I decided unselfishly that this device is not ready to be introduced to the mass population ha). Every corner of my beloved destinations would be flocked with these annoying tourists and influencers. There would be no more peace. And who are the most disruptive and destructive visitors? Tourists and influencers. The beautiful marigold field would be flattened to the ground, and the unique mountaintop outcropping would collapse from the weight of people pretending to do yoga there. While we finally would be able to retrieve Green Boots from Everest, it would be a disaster up there with some wealthy housewife trying to do gender reveals. I feel stressed typing this.

Sadly, the journeys would no longer be possible without alternative methods. Part of the satisfaction of these destinations is the journeys.

 

The other most important factors are animals and plants. People want to see wildlife up close and bring souvenirs; the consequences would be unimaginable. Endemic animals and plants, with their natural reasons and causes, would no longer be protected. Wallace's line exists for a reason.

Of course, there could be solutions, but I am just a bit disappointed that these very glaring negative impacts (to me) are not mentioned, combined with the population rise. (I have read somewhere that the lack of need to do other things and the plentiful of time will result in the increase of baby-making activities)

 

-       I am not sure why there is a need for a 'Post Release Update.' Imo, it totally throws everything else away. It doesn't go with the documentary style as this is supposed to be the private life of someone who is mentioned repeatedly as very reserved. The tone is also very different from the rest of the book, and it kind of ruins the consistency of the characters. I'm really not sure why this is included. Imho; it would make a much better book without.

 

-       The missing importance. The disappearing, the original scientists, and the alternate universe need to be fleshed out more. Those should be very important and alarming, or it would be interesting to learn about more than a few sentences. What about blackouts in between travels? Not all countries in the world have the same stability or capacity; blackouts happen often in some. Most less developed areas don’t even have internet connections. It would also be interesting to think about how vulnerable the system is to cyber-attacks and unauthorized imitations. Everything can be imitated, especially when they have the prototype.


4 out of 5 stars