Tuesday, March 12, 2024

The Silent Day

 


Do you remember the time when you tried to eat chips in the office but didn't want to share? Or when you wanted to fart and dropped a book to conceal the sound, but because of poor timing, you dropped the book, the whole class went silent, looked at you, and then you farted? Neither do I. It didn't happen to me. I swear.

But today, I try to be as quiet as possible. If you have watched a movie titled The Quiet Place that tells a story about monsters that attack sound (and everything attached to it), yeah, I wouldn't make it a day. I'm only talkative to certain people. I am not social, but I am clumsy and do everything with passion. Cling, clang, cling, clang.

Why today? I write this on March 11, the day Bali observes Silent Day (Nyepi). It occurs once a year and is the biggest day in Balinese culture.

Today is a reflection day when you are supposed to introspect yourself in silence. No sound, fire, lights, not going out but staying at home. This applies to everything and everyone; even the airport is closed. I can't think of a day when an airport is closed anywhere else except for emergencies.

We tried to experience Nyepi some years ago by staying in a hotel. At that time, it was our first year spending Nyepi in Bali, and we were worried it would be hard for us to be at home. Rumor has it that they shut down electricity. So, we looked for an affordable hotel that had a special Nyepi package, which provided meals and lodging at a reasonable price. As for now, I have experienced Nyepi many times and never encountered an electricity shutdown, so that could be a baseless rumor. However, I went through an internet shutdown a few years ago. They haven't done that for three years; I guess the internet has become such a necessity in life, important for emergencies, and great to have for those who go along with Nyepi without related culture and religion.

For everything else, the rule is strict for everyone, and there are traditional Balinese civilian officers (We call them Pencalang; I have no idea what the term is in English, but they exist in the neighborhood to ensure peace and safety). Not sure about other clusters, but in mine, I have only great experience with them; they are always ready to help and do their jobs well. These Pencalang all over the island go around to ensure that no one is out there or making unnecessary noises. If you have special needs, emergency, and noisy babies, you can inform them, and there will be exceptions given.

We were lucky to stay in a hotel with a rooftop a few years ago and experienced the night sky with dark surroundings. My favorite time when I climbed the mountains was at night or dawn during the scale to the summit, especially those non-commercialized mountains with hardly any other climbers. I loved that serenity and peace when surrounded by total darkness that my eyes would adjust to or showered in the silvery glitter of the moon. It was the best time to look at the stars, far away from light pollution. It always gave me feelings I couldn't explain, making me return for more, regardless of how agonizing the journey to the peak was. Looking at the stars during Nyepi was a very good substitute, as everyone tried to be respectful and quiet, with no one fiddling with their phones, and were just there, enjoying the night sky and the peace.

While it's not for everyone, it is certainly one of the unique experiences and traditions the Balinese preserve, and I hope they continue to do so. Although there are some 'outlaws,' most visitors or non-natives respect this unusual tradition; as the saying goes, 'when you visit a place, you respect its culture.' I don't remember the exact words, but it's something along that line. It's on a bigger scale than what most are taught since childhood: 'When you visit a house, respect its host.' I think it's basic, common sense, although it seems like common sense is not that common anymore when you read the news nowadays.




Find more story like this in My Newsletter, I promise there are gibberish there, and for more gibberish you can check My Website

Thank you!