Friday, March 1, 2024

The Classic (Race) Car

 


Locky has an itchy fit after I picked him up from his original grandma (a boarding perk I got from his original family when I adopted him. He has a second home whenever I am away). Besides medication and antiseptic soap, the vet suggested that he put on a cone or a shirt to prevent him from scratching. Here he is unhappy with the fashion choice, and that is my best T-shirt!

 But he got comfortable after I fastened it and slept well into the morning. On the way to beautiful, itch-free skin!


During my previous work, I passed this neighborhood road daily around the same time. I would see the same kiosks, the same people sweeping their yards, the same dog lounging under the afternoon sun, the same rubbish on the roadside, the same undies on the same cloth lines; yeah, I made the last two up.

Anyway, one day, there was a classic car on one of the roadsides (Classic, as far as my car’s knowledge allows me, I know almost nothing about them!). It was a pale blue, older model with a squarish look. Not Volkswagen, Cadillac, or Mustang; it looked sporty enough with Mustang’s style. Two youngsters, most probably less than twenty years old, were attending to it. They were busy cleaning, scrubbing, and tinkering every time I passed by.

I paid attention to everything unusual, interesting, or something regular. I also needed to slow down because sometimes there were stuff or tools scattered around. But one thing was for sure: they were very into whatever they were working on. It was not clear on week one, but on week two, they moved to focus on the area around the wheels, and it became obvious that they were trying to lower the chassis by the time they entered week three.

Please don’t ask me; I still don’t understand why some folks think cars with low body clearance from the road are cool and great. To put it simply, the less space it has between the chassis and the road, the better. I assume it feels different when you drive it; most probably, it feels like a racing car. I prefer to be as high as I can because I need to see what is going on in front of me. So, it’s not for me, but I understand that it’s a passion for some. It’s probably cool to look at as well for them, and it’s some achievement to obtain or modify a car that way. Here, there are no clear rules for modifications, or maybe there are, but after seeing all sorts of weird things on the street, they are probably very lax.

I enjoyed looking at how passionate these two were; they looked content and did a decent job on the car. Sometimes, there were one or two onlookers who helped them or just chatted on a small makeshift wooden pavilion nearby. All in all, it was a quality afternoon time for them. The car got lower and lower until it was around or less than 5 centimeters or two inches from the ground, and they wrapped the work.

However, there was one biggest flaw that they didn’t consider. It was very obvious, but maybe they focused on the process, and as a result, they forgot about one thing: Bali’s roads.

Bali has every imaginable road: the smooth ones, the jagged ones, the ones with plot holes, the ones with swimming pools, the ones with trees planted on the sides (not on planters or islands or curbs, on the roads!), the dirt roads, the ones with steep inhumane gradient that you clench butt cheeks when you go up and see your life flash before your eyes when you go down, the ones that lead to nowhere, and the ones with obnoxious manholes and humps.

Some manhole covers are fitted so haphazardly that they are much higher than the road. Humps, there are no standards here; sometimes they are reasonable with good angles, sometimes they are invisible (not painted), sometimes they are designed to make you fly or grant you a visit to the mechanics. There is one key here; all of them are higher than 5 centimeters.

Some assholes think it’s okay to speed on the neighborhood roads, so there are a lot of humps to prevent that, including, wait for it, humps in front and behind where this car was located, which was less than fifty meters in each direction. They were not painted, but a regular would know them by heart. I assume they tried to test the car for a ride when reality dawned on them because after the car was finished, it was only abandoned on the roadside for months until, one day, it was gone.

It was a pity. This post should stop here, but of course, like many insufferable writers, I try to draw a parallel in life. There is a good possibility that the way ahead and around us are not as obvious as when they are viewed from afar or by others. We get so accustomed to the conditions and surroundings that we can’t see the glaring, unbeatable obstacles, or we can see them but choose to ignore them because we enjoy what we are doing. I think it happens to me more than I am willing to admit.

Have a great day, everyone. Sometimes, I wish I was born on leap day because I hate celebrating birthdays, but that is the story for another day.