Monday, March 14, 2022

REVIEW: The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein)


This is one of the books I picked up without any recommendation or knowing anything about it. It certainly changes me in a significant way that I swear I will never pick up another book with dogs in it.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is told from the perspective of Enzo, a loyal dog who follows his owner's life and tells us the way it is. It's not so much about racing, but it has so much essence that pulls multiple strings in my heart; it doesn't help that I love dogs. There are multiple very powerful scenes that are told in a way that doesn't undermine the readers' intelligence.

As a dog owner and a friend to many stray dogs out there, there are times when I thought I could read their minds. When I entertained the thought of being given a skill, my first instinct was 'I want to talk with my dog.' However, with further consideration, I am convinced that we understand each other fine. We just lock eyes, and both of us know what we are going to do, so I allocate my wish that he will be with me forever. That is why reading this book feels so familiar, Garth Stein makes it so believable, so much so that it breaks my heart in pieces, in a good way.

Rating: 5 dogs out of 5 racecars

View all my Goodreads Review91270-sotto-voce



.