Sunday, March 27, 2022

REVIEW: The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)

 

First of all, I really like the title. And after reading the book, I like it even more because of how fitting it is.

This is the second book I chose and read based on Goodreads' recommendation. Didn't know anything about it, besides having been a fan of Oscar Wilde's quotes since a teenager, I used to sprinkle them a lot in my younger day's blog about mundane life's observations.

The book was fascinating to me, I went in without expectation and came out impressed. I have to put in a disclaimer that I'm not a fan of classics. I like To Kill a Mockingbird, which is as classic as I get. Although I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I have to admit loving the modern adaptation more than the original. 

More than two decades ago, I tried reading Shakespeare, and after a few pages, I decided I was not sophisticated enough and couldn't handle the style. So I was surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did, although Chapter 11 almost sent me to a fit of frustration. 

Dorian Gray is an intriguing character, I would say he is narcissistic, but he is an overwhelmed philosopher and romantic at other times. His mood changes drastically throughout the book, but it's not out of character. He is easily influenced, perhaps, and one can't undermine the importance of Henry's influence in his early life. Henry himself is a fascinating character, a sexist, a classical jerk if you must, but he is an entertaining, witty character and carries himself so well that he fits like a middle puzzle piece into his time. He loves nothing but himself. The opposite character of Basil and James are more relatable to most people than the terrifying aristocrats behind a good mannerism and flowery language. And oh, personally, I can fit my whole year's social life into their one night; it's even exhausting to read. Wait, make it three years.

The book took me on a journey beyond time. Again, I am not a fan of this language style, but it felt so fitting, and I found myself highlighting many of the sentences as again, the author is my favorite quote machine. I can't say it was a totally enjoyable journey though. As mentioned, there are a lot of, forgive my low-class language, blabbers. Pages and pages and pages of monologues were something I raised my eyebrows at, but again, I enjoyed that as it's fitting to the style and story, except one chapter.

Chapter Eleven left me with a loud exclamation of: 'OH GOOD HEAVENS! STILL???', when I reached the embroidery part after I read pages and pages of hundreds of things that served a single purpose. I admire the author's knowledge beyond the presence of Google, but do I need to read about another type of precious stone, pistachio-colored peridot? Which is just a tiny fragment to explain the character's phase? Certainly not. No. Not. It definitely knocked my enjoyment as I groaned and scratched my eyeballs, but not as bad as a star's reduction, based solely on my admiration. I'm fascinated with the level of knowledge, if only it didn't clog the story flow.

But chapter 11 aside, everything else wraps me inside the story.

I think this is a masterpiece of its time. Even though I predicted it as it went along, the story is so well written as we dived into the head of Dorian Gray. I don't agree with him, but it's fascinating to read his change of mood and how he thinks. I was expecting the story to drag, but besides the dreaded Chapter Eleven, I dedicated my free time to finish it without delay.

I am quite sure I have dated back my classic knowledge to this book.


Rating: 5 pistachio-colored peridots out of 5 opium dens

View all my Goodreads reviews


.