Monday, March 28, 2022

REVIEW: The Reader (Bernhard Schlink)



*spoiler review*

Just before Covid era, I picked up this book from a tiny shelf at the corner of a cottage on a weekend getaway. I have to shamelessly admit that my knowledge about books out there are very limited. Well, this looks familiar, I thought. And that was because I had watched the movie a couple of years ago, not knowing it's also an adaptation.

It helps a lot that I like the movie. In fact, I'm very sure that this review is biased because of the movie. All characters come to life, including the settings and the dialogues. It's even more biased because I like the works of the actors too (Ralph Fiennes is in my radar ever since The Schindler's List, The Constant Gardener and English Patient, Kate Winslet since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Little Children, Revolutionary Road and The Dressmaker).

The plot itself is a complete journey, and we have a lot to get from there. It is told from Michael's point of view in three main segments. 

The first segment tells us about his early relationship with Hanna, he is left heartbroken after the latter leaves without explanation. 

Second, he witnessed a trial involving Hanna as a concentration camp guard. Michael struggles between feeling hurt, betrayed, and keeping a secret that could free but expose Hanna, which is something that she clearly doesn't want. It threads the thin ice of a delicate subject and, at the same time, gives us food for thought; what would you do?

I often ponder this question myself when I see news about horrible things that happen everywhere. We can judge all we want, but would we be any better if we were in their shoes? We probably could and should, but how if our loved ones are threatened and have to pay as well, could we still be brave and right?

The third segment is the ending, when Michael finally decides to reconnect with his past.

Anyway, there is one thing I can't really agree with. I have known quite a number of successful acquaintances who are illiterate, and I am not ancient. I am not sure how realistic is Hanna's situation in her time and place, but it's not a stretch. It is probably rare because this character chooses to be imprisoned and misunderstood over admitting her illiteracy. I find this very in character, yet very out of character at the same time.

All the impression that I get from Hanna is she is very proud and strong, brave and independent. I can see this character fighting tooth and nail for her beliefs and protecting her pride. However, I can also see this character overcomes all the obstacles, including PICKING UP A VERY SIGNIFICANT SKILL!!! And if reputation is so important to her, what about the reputation of burning innocent people? It contradicts her very independent and honest quality.

But setting that aside, which is quite hard as that is the drive of the overall story, I find a complete reading experience from it, even though the book is much thinner and lighter than I thought it would be if I had to guess from the movie. 

There are many strong elements of the book.

Michael's character, his life struggles after Hanna and when they cross paths again. His effort to maintain his detachment, keeping his distance, guilt and yet, at the same time, give her a very precious and loving understanding and motivation, all those are also reflected in his inability to have proper relationships that are always shadowed by this. 

Hanna's ending with a decision that cosigns her stubbornness and her ultimate happiness and heartbreak upon meeting Michael.

And most of all, the reader as the meta-message, I can't imagine not being able to read and explore the vast world beyond pages. Being read to is so intimate, an effort that takes time, patience and passion. These represent the vulnerability and affectionate intimacy of the characters.

I am flip-flopping between 4 and 5, but the heck with it, I remember loving the movie and the read.


5 bicycle trips out of 5 river dips

View all my Goodreads reviews


.