Monday, March 14, 2022

REVIEW: A Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin)

 


They say the first book is the most important book in the series, and George R.R. Martin knows full well how to keep readers interested. I am one of the lucky ones to read this book in the golden time: when all books up to Dance of Dragon were out and before the TV series was made.

The Prologue is not exactly my forte, and to be honest, and I almost didn't want to deal with that. However, the curiosity got the better of me, and I continued reading. Upon that, I entered a world filled with rich imagination and well-written characters.

Personally, I am not a fan of Fantasy, even though I have enjoyed some works in this genre. However, to me, overall, The Song of Ice and Fire is so realistic that I have become a fan of the books. Yes, throw in magic, dragon, spiritual beings, but besides all those, there are many great things to intrigue me to no end. The plethora of characters is one of the book's strong suits, and of course, the realism. I was right at the time when I stopped appreciating all the rosy cliche and wonderful unrealistic world, and this series was something very fresh for me.

I borrowed the first book from a colleague, who left it lying on her table without touching it forever, but then I went to the book store and carried a stack of all of them back.

Everyone who is familiar with the series knows one of the greatest events that is very thought-provoking and advanced for its time. It has been done way too many times now, but if you are reading this book without prior knowledge, you'd be blessed like me; wide-eyes and didn't know what hit me.


Rating: 4 Whitewalkers of 5 Winterfell




.