Monday, March 14, 2022

REVIEW: A Dance with Dragon (George R.R. Martin)



A Dance with Dragons is the last 'proper' book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, and it has been way too long. I understand that writing requires mood, but it's another thing to leave your reader or the fan of the series high and dry when the stories are not completed yet.

Other than the rant, the book. I find myself enjoying Daenerys's time in Meereen, while I'm indifferent about the character, I somehow enjoy slow-burn and there are many things that I find fascinating. We are frequently entertained by stories of patriotic warriors, heroes, fighters in shows and books that end with their glory, but there are not many who explore the story: now what?

Do those said heroes maintain their legacy, do they live up to the expectation?

In real life, more often than not, maintaining something is far more difficult than obtaining it, especially with relationships, careers, even the challenge of consistently passionate and caring about something. So I guess that's why Meereen is interesting for me, to see a character who has gone her way and does many things impossible, trying and breaking her composure just to maintain what she has obtained. Before GoT is reduced to mainstream fantasy-action, these are the factors that make me appreciative of the series.

On other characters, it's also extremely intriguing to see the continuation of the previous book, the writer expertly brings us inside the heads of characters with delusion of grandeur, the one on redemption path, and of course, stubborn Starks. 

Unfortunately, the TV Series popularity, the last couple of seasons' quality and the non-existence of the new books have eroded my interest. I'm not sure if I will be there when the new book is out.

Rating: 5 Scales out of 5 Dragons

View all my Goodreads reviews



.