Monday, March 14, 2022

REVIEW: Flower for Algernon (Daniel Keyes)



I originally read the translated version of Flower of Algernon. At that time, I wasn't really familiar with books written in English. The translated version had a very different cover and title, and I remember it is called Charlie The Dumb Genius (translated). It still resides in one of the corners of the bookshelf in my family's house. 

Nevertheless, it was still a journey. There are not many things that beat the feeling of picking up a couple of random books, bringing them home and hoping that you will have a good time reading them. I devoured the book within two days, and it hit me in various strategic spots. I was happy, sad, excited, overwhelmed, and the book left me thinking and devastated, which is a good thing. I want to read and watch works that leave long-lasting impressions after I finish with them. 

After that, I found out that Charlie The Dumb Genius is a translation, and I picked up the copy of Flowers for Algernon, not one or two but a couple of copies because I wanted others to read it too. Until now, it's still one of my favorite books.

Flowers for Algernon is believable. It explores more on the human side than the science of the plot. The main characters are well written, and I could follow their journey clearly. After more than a decade, I still remember the story and how it made me feel. 

Rating: 5 Flowers out of 5 Algernons

View all my Goodreads reviews


.